April 21, 2012

HOW DID I END UP HERE? ROBICELLI'S/DEKALB MARKET (Brooklyn)

Robicelli's MaryJane cupcake - can't say enough how this peanut butter cupcake is sooo scrumptious!
Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography
After an amazing R&R day in the city yesterday, I celebrated with a decadent sweet from Robicelli's at the Dekalb Market. A perfect way to end a gorgeous day!


Equipped with a fully charged battery for my cam and a spare battery for my iPhone, I started my journey to the not-so-quite unknown. I checked my RSS feed and remembered that the biopic film "Marley" was opening today and to my dismay only two theaters in our great city was showing this film - so tragic!  I headed over to the Landmark Sunshine Cinema in the East Village - this is a gem of an indie theater that I highly recommend that people will frequent more often to help bring more quality films to this area. *Okay hopping off my soapbox now* 


Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography
I was extremely pleased that one, the cinema decided to hold his showing in one of their bigger theater rooms, and second that there were so many people coming out to see the noon show. The audience grew incredibly fast after the previews were shown then the room went black and all of us heard his boisterous voice and the thunderous roar from a live performance from circa 1980-something (the footage predated the birth of some of the members of the audience - how dope is that?!). This is a must see film telling the hiSTORY of the most infamous Bob Marley. Incredible! It made me remember why he was so loved and still is 'til this day. 


After the film, I headed to Chinatown for a late lunch. Prior to seeing the film, I went random and hopped off the train at Delancey Street. With some time to spare before the show, I along with my darling Nikky (Nikon D5100 - powerful machinery! lol) ran amuck throughout Chinatown, the Lower East Side then finally to the East Village taking incredible shots of the city that I love. 


All that walking worked up a serious thirst - papaya/mango smoothie it is!
Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography

This is the most coolest firehouse door that I've seen in the five boroughs!
Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography

Saw this in the East Village - need to find out who the artist is! #lovethis
Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography
I was craving Vietnamese food especially since I've never tried it before. And Yelp! told me that Pho Grand was a great place to go to for something unforgettable so there I went. Let me tell you...I could've devoured the entire 10-page menu but I held back.  I ended up having the Cha Gio Chay (Vietnamese spring roll) and the Bo Luc Lac (marinated beef cubes with white rice over lettuce and tomato). Delicious is not the word to describe this experience. The beef was seasoned perfectly along with the sauteed onions. After a quick belly rub, I continued my stroll to walk off the food and search for dessert - there was room (I think). 


I continued my walk-it-off exercise and saw the Manhattan bridge in the distance. In an effort to get the perfect shot of the bridge, I kept walking closer and closer until I was on the promenade in DUMBO.

Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography
All that walking, eating, photoging and film watching, made me pause to enjoy this serene moment as the breeze picked up and died down. The view was breathtaking. After a moment or two, I glanced over to my right and saw Pier 17 (South Street Seaport). And here I go with walking and people watching again straight into the building caverns of the financial district.


I then hopped onto the 2 train since it was "on time" and hopped off to head to the Dekalb Market for a dose of Tea By Tiffany's special iced brew and finally a cupcake from Robicelli's. *Hopping on the soapbox once more* Please add a visit to the Dekalb Market to your list of things to do this summer. With new vendors and the best of the vendors from last summer, you will shop 'til you drop, eat 'til you overstuff and dance it all off with special music events - be sure to stop by Tiffany's tea shop at the new location and tell her the Synch Ladies sent ya!


Photo credit: Chante Ramsey/VySyn Photography
-Chante