February 11, 2012

Harlem Nights with JOSE JAMES



To say that Jose James' performance was impeccable is an understatement. His vocals were flawless and backed by a stellar band and guest artists. I didn't know what to expect from Jose aside from an amazing show that he delivered so effortlessly.


Last night was an epic Friday night in Harlem for me. Me and my good friend, Rachael, chilled at the infamous Hudson River Cafe for an early dinner and cocktails before the show. I will definitely come back--the service, the food and ambiance was so on point! Afterwards, we leisurely strolled to the Harlem Stage Gatehouse to pick up our tickets and snag seats with the perfect view of Mr. James. I posted my last tweet before the performance then instantly went into the Jose James trance for the entire set. 


His set was kicked off with a brief intro and immediately followed by the processional of his band to their respective spots then he strolls onstage as humble as can be. If you didn't look close enough, you would not have realized that he graced the stage. He has paid his dues and is a star minus the ego and big stage entrance fluff. To me, he is one of passionate artists ready, willing and able to get to it in order to give the fans what they came to see -  a great show from start to finish!


With the theme of love in the air, he gave the crowd a tasty blend of his catalog, a couple of jazz standards and a few songs from his forthcoming project "No Beginning, No End" to be released this fall. He shared the stage for two selections with the beautiful vocalist/musician, Emily King, and MC/beatbox maven, Taylor McFerrin


The band was equally as fierce as the man himself. I have got to give accolades to Takuya Kuroda (trumpet), Corey King (trombone), Grant Windsor (keys), Solomon Dorsey (bass & background vocals), Nate Smith (drums)!!


I previously saw Jose this past summer at the jazz fest in Brooklyn and prior to that I copped his Blackmagic release. So I'm not entirely new to his artistry but this was the first time that I attended one of his full concerts and this will certainly not be my last. 


Be sure to catch one of Jose James' sets tonight at the Gatehouse!!


-Chante